I have drawn for as long as I can remember, and it has
always been the easiest way for me to express myself. My first
serious "coloring book" was a copy of the AD&D Monster Manual.
Coloring the pictures in that manual was far more interesting than
playing the game ever was.
I earned an art degree from the University of North Texas,
but most of what I know has come from other artists and trial and
error. Because of the restrictions of being a college student
(and living in a dorm) I picked up colored pencils as my major
medium. Most of my current body of work is in colored pencil,
though I am now getting back into acrylics and falling in love
with painting all over again.
After graduating in '97, I moved to St. Louis with my wife,
Robin. For the first five years after moving, I worked for a
computer game company, making 3D models. I have now helped to
create computer game art for the Age of Empires series, Railroad
Tycoon II, Tropico, Age of Wonders II and Railroad Tycoon 3.
In the fall of 2002, I quit in order to pursue
illustration full time. It was a grand and wonderful
adventure, with the most recent commissions being Groovy Tubes
books for InnovativeKids.
However, I have taken a temporary long-term
sabbatical from my illustration career in order to be a full-time
Mr. Mom, taking care of our sons, born in March 2007 and November 2011.
They are great, and they keep me on my toes. In a few short years, I'll be able to get back to working on some commissions.
Robin, my wife, is an assistant professor at the University of
Colorado at Boulder. She helps me with all of the technical, legal and
financial sides of freelancing, and is a blessing.
Our cat, Motley, was adopted from the wilds of Oklahoma in June
of '03. She is the text book example of a lap cat and a Daddy's Girl. We added a second cat, Summer, in 2012. She's also a sweetie.
Illustrator, Graphic Artist
1657 Daphne St.
Broomfield, CO 80020
- iKids, South Norwalk, CT
- All artwork, "Groovy Tubes: Monsters: The Hunt and Capture" published 2008
- All artwork, "Groovy Tubes: Mythical Beasts" published 2007
- NESFA Press, Boston, MA
- Cover for novel, "Borders of Infinity"
- Sabertooth Games, Memphis, TN
- Illustrated two cards, "Siege of Terra" expansion deck to the CCG "Warhammer 40K."
- Illustrated four cards, "Siege of Terra" expansion deck to the CCG "Warhammer 40K."
- Illustrated two cards, "Harbingers of War" expansion deck to the CCG "Warhammer Fantasy."
- Illustrated two cards, "Horus Heresy" expansion to the CCG "Warhammer Fantasy."
- Illustrated six cards, "WARS" trading card game expansion deck.
- Illustrated four cards, "WARS" trading card game.
- Tigress Press, Columbia, MO
- Cover for novel, "The Silver Angel"
- Cover for novel, "The Blue Flame"
- Cover for novel, "8 Days"
- Cover for novel, "The Emerald Dagger"
- Cover for novel, "Season of Peril"
- Yard Dog Press, Alma, AR
- Cover for novel, "Golems of Laramie County"
- Cover for novel, "Chronicles of the Last War"
- Strange Horizons, webzine
- Color illustration for short story, "Why I Am Not A Gorilla"
- Cloud Kingdom Games, Lafayette, CO
- Set of black and white spot illustrations and maps for riddle book.
- 2006 DragonCon art show Certificate of Merit for Silver Angel
- 2005 Chesley nomination for Dragon and Spaceship in "Best Monochrome Work: Unpublished" category
- 2005 Boskone art show Staff Choice award for Slime Collectors
- 2005 Boskone art show award for The Summons
- 2004 Chesley nomination for Happy Hour in "Best Color Work: Unpublished" category
- 2004 Chesley nomination for "ASFA Wants You" promotional artwork
a.k.a. The Summons in "Contribution to ASFA" category
- Artist Guest of Honor, Konniption, Columbia, MO 2004 (upcoming)
- 2nd Place, Favorite Gallery, Strange Horizons 2003 Reader's Choice Awards
- Joint Artist Guest of Honor (With John Kaufmann and Mike Cole), CloverCon, St. Louis, MO 2004
- 3rd Place, Color, CloverCon, St. Louis, MO 2004
- Best in Show, Happy Hour, Archon, St. Louis, MO 2003
- Best Color, CONduit 13, Salt Lake City, Utah 2003
- Artist Guest of Honor, Concoction, Moberly, MO Apr 2001
- Best New Artist, Name That Con, Eureka, MO 2000
- Featured Artist, Art Attack Gallery, St. Louis, MO. Dec 1998
- Best in Show and Best in Science Fiction, AggieCon 1998
- 2nd and 3rd place awards, Science Fiction category, AggieCon 1995
Skills and Media
- Acrylics, colored pencil, graphite, pen and ink, inkwash.
- 3D Studio Max - high-poly and low-poly modelling, texturing, character creation and animation,
Character Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Gimp, HTML
- BA in Art, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude, 1997
- PopTop Software, St. Louis, MO 1998-2002
Railroad Tycoon 3
Created low-poly models of buildings and trains. Also created
world art incuding trees, terrain textures, wave maps and ground
Age of Wonders II
Created cut-scenes. Work included modelling, texturing, lighting,
character rigging and animation.
Modeled, textured and animated characters.
Also created manual cover, wrote manual, created game buildings,
and created various promotional pieces for magazines and box art for
expansion pack and gold edition.
Railroad Tycoon 2 and the 2nd Century Expansion Pack
Train photography clean-up in Photoshop for in-game sprites.
Plus various in-game artwork and 3D building work.
Ensemble Studios, Dallas, TX 1995-1997
Age of Empires
Icon creation and 2D cleanup of rendered sprites.
Some work reused in AoE2.
RETURN TO THE TOP
The contents of this document are copyrighted 2002-2005 by David Deen.
Send webpage suggestions or comments to
This document last updated Sun Oct 1 20:42:12 2006.